At and around Place Broglie

Place Broglie owes its name to the Marshall de Broglie who refurbished it in 1740. Previously it was used as a place of tournament for knights and as a market, as it is again today. The beautiful mansions that line the square date back to the 18th century. In the following century, the Opera House was built in the Municipal Theater and the Christmas market was born in 1870. The obelisk that adorns the center of the square pays tribute to General Leclerc who liberated the city in 1944.


Opéra National du Rhin
19 Place Broglie, 67000 Strasbourg
Website - tel : 08 24 84 14 84.

The theater, completed in 1821, is located on the eastern flank of Place Broglie. The Neoclassical facade, although simple, is influenced by an antique style: 6 Ionic columns support a majestic portico surmounted by 6 statues of muses. The National Opera of Strasbourg is housed behind the monumental facade. The performance hall, in the form of a horseshoe, was inspired by Italian theaters.


La rue du Dôme

This street, which already existed in Roman times, is lined with beautiful facades decorated with masks from the 18th century (No. 7, 8, 17 and 18).


Hôtel de Klinglin - Hôtel du préfet (1736)
19 Rue Brulée, 67000 Strasbourg
Cannot be visited.

The Hotel Klinglin (named after the royal lender), today the prefecture of the Bas-Rhin department, was built in the 18th century in a Regency style found in many other great mansions of Rue Brulée. Its beautiful pink sandstone facade and especially its monumental entrance in the form of large conch is worth seeing. Destroyed during the Franco-Prussian War of 1870, it was rebuilt identically, and is especially richly decorated inside in a neo-baroque style to accommodate important German dignitaries.

Hôtel du gouverneur militaire (1755)
13 rue Brulée, 67000 Strasbourg 

Cannot be visited.

Dating back to 1755, it is one of the last buildings constructed in the Regency style before the return to the antique inspirations that characterized the late 18th century, notably the columns of the monumental and magnificent courtyard entrance.

Hôtel de Ville
9 Rue Brulée, 67000 Strasbourg
Cannot be visited.

Located on Place Gutenberg during the Middle Ages, the City Hall set up its headquarters in these buildings starting from 1806. Like many mansions and residences on Rue Brûlée, the building is in a Regency style, organized around a courtyard, as was fashionable in Paris. You cannot miss its monumental entrance decorated with sculptures that evoke themes of mythology, hunting and war. The interior is richly decorated.


The Mikvah (13th century)
20 rue des Charpentiers, 67000 Strasbourg
Rarely opened for visits, contact the Tourist Office for more information

Recent archaeological excavations uncovered the remains of a mikvah in the basement of the existing building. These Jewish ritual purifying baths remind us that the Jewish community has been present in Alsace since Antiquity. They were driven from the city in the 14th century, suspected of having poisoned the wells during the plague of 1349. Their places of worship were closed or destroyed ...

< Home Strasbourg - Grande Ile

News from Strasbourg