La place du Corbeau
Although outside the classified area, Place du Corbeau, located on the Ill, is a focal point between the old town of Grande Ile, the docks and the Krutenau neighborhood further south. It is the location of the restaurant "Au Canon," where the Kronenbourg brewery was founded by Jérôme Hatt in the 17th century.
The Cour du Corbeau overlooks a beautiful half-timbered house, one of the most beautiful in the city. This old inn was built in the 16th century. It now houses a hotel.
The Pont du Corbeau was where those convicted of infanticide or parricide (murder of a child or parent) were executed. The condemned man was locked in a cage before being immersed in the Ill by a pivoting board.
Quai des bateliers and quai Saint Nicolas
Conducive to exploring the banks of the Ill, the quays are lined with the facades of beautiful houses from the 16th to the 18th centuries.
The Krutenau neighborhood
Though today this area has been invaded by young Strasbourgeois (mostly students), it was the neighborhood boatmen and fishermen for a long time. A sometimes trendy but especially friendly neighborhood, this area has the atmosphere of a small village, and is, in fact, one of the most pleasant neighborhoods in the city. Many restaurants and cafés.
Commanderie Saint-Jean - École Nationale d'Administration
1 Rue Sainte-Marguerite, 67000 Strasbourg
In the 14th century, the Convent of the Knights of the Order of Saint John of Jerusalem was located at the site of the present National School of Administration, which trains the political elites of the country. A hospital was established there in the 16th century. The paintings on the facade date from this period. After the Knights of Saint John, the buildings were used as a prison until 1988 before the ENA settled there.
Place de la République
The immense Place de la République is the heart of the Neustadt (new town) created after the Franco-Prussian war of 1870, and is organized in the center of its large arteries and majestic buildings in Imperial architecture.
In the center stands a memorial for falled soldiers, erected in 1936. It depicts a mother with her two sons, one of whom died for France, the other for Germany, a dramatic situation experienced by Alsatians during the two world wars.
Rue du Général Rapp, 67000 Strasbourg
The facade of this building has a surprising originality in this former German neighborhood: an Egyptian-inspired fresco with a pharaoh surrounded by papyrus. This fantasy art that combines Art Nouveau and Orientalism dates back to 1905.
European city par excellence, Strasbourg is the seat of the European Parliament, the Council of Europe and the Court of Human Rights.